Monday 14 April 2014

A Pirate's Knife for Me

Tonight was the fifth "login day" of the Repeat Login Campaign #10, so I received my 500 points, bringing my total up to 600. For some reason this wasn't working properly under the last campaign, but this time there was no doubt, I was going to be able to purchase one of my favourite FFXI NPCs, Luzaf! I dashed over to the Greeter Moogle in Port Bastok and picked up the Cipher for 500 points, traded it to Clarion Star and tested him out!

Luzaf dual-wields and melees more than I thought, although his favoured opening tactic seems to be an elemental shot (e.g. Ice Shot). He does use ranged attacks, but tends to melee. I've also not seen any signs of Phantom Roll, but then each NPC only tends to use some of their abilities (e.g. Curilla doesn't Provoke). Perhaps one day we'll be able to get Qultada, who may fight less, but use Phantom Roll.

With that I went to Castle Oztroja to try once more to get the O Kotes and the Sarutobi Kyahan from Mee Deggi and Quu Domi. I still remember how I got these first time as a THF on my old account - I've lost count how many times I've not got this on my new account, or for a friend. Still, camping is quite fun these days, as you can choose a Records of Eminence "Conflict" quest to repeat, meaning I could rapidly kill too week mobs and quickly complete the RoE quests. I didn't manage to pop Mee Deggi, but I did get my fourth Merit Point needed to uncap to L85.

I then went to help Chinchii do her AF3 fight for her Drachen Armet - the one against the two Shadows in the Temple of Uggalepih. FFXIclopedia mentions you must have your Wyvern out to pop the NMs, so she had no choice but to come as her L50 DRG. I didn't think this would be a problem except the respawn time in the room was too quick - as soon as we'd clear the tonberries, they'd begin to repop.

Nevertheless, she Sneak-popped and I pulled over the Warrior, Cleuvarion M Resoaix, who hit like a truck, even on my L80 PLD. I used Defender, kept up Flash and Phalanx, and cast Reprisal when I could. He started off hitting quite fast but seemed to slow down after awhile. It was slow and I wasn't sure I was going to make it but gradually the fight got easier. Eventually he used Mighty Strikes, which I countered with Sentinel, but as Sentinel began to wear, I bottled it and hit Invincible. I cured myself back to full, and when TP was 100% used Chivalry to keep my MP up. As Invincible wore, I used Holy Circle to intimidate, and was able to finish him off with little problems. By this time, the other Shadow had de-popped so Chinchii was able to get her final cutscene and her Drachen Armet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.