Sunday 11 May 2008

Everything is Permitted

Last Sunday we attempted the Uninvited Guests ENM in Monarch Linn and failed miserably, but had to wait five days to get a new Key Item to reattempt the fight. We also had to wait until the next Conquest update to reobtain the quest Spice Gals, where we had to get Rivernewort from Riverne Site #B01 and trade it to Rouva in Southern San d’Oria.

Anyway, we reactivated both quests and headed into Riverne Site #B01 to farm Drake Scales from Pyrodrakes. When we got there, we found that the area was quite busy with a large alliance of people standing near the first Spatial Displacement. For anyone who hasn’t done CoP or read our guide to CoP, Riverne was once a beautiful cape not too far from the city of Tavnazia. Due to a bizarre magic accident, the cape was “destroyed”, and it broke into many pieces which now float in the sky above the seas west of the Tavnazian Archipelago. In order to traverse the Cape to the summit (Monarch Linn), you need to “jump” from island to island using Spatial Displacements.

However, it’s not so easy. Some Displacements are unstable, and require a Giant Scale to make it temporarily stable so you can use it to reach the next island. Until this day I have not been able to find a clue or an NPC anywhere who explains to do this, so I bow down to the person who first discovered this.

Anyway, we pulled the Pyrodrakes and began fighting them (we being the usual bunch, Aka, BBK, Teila and me), and got a Giant Scale from nearly every single one. After getting four, Teila and I headed back to our Home Points to change jobs for the ENM. The plan this time was for Teila to solo one and BBK to solo the other, with Aka healing BBK and me healing Teila. We also agreed to lock them into their BLM forms (ironically) as their melee forms were physically stronger with insane weaponskills.

Our route up was trouble-free and we all got the Key Item: Rivernewort, but BBK was discovered by a Lunantishee (Malboro family), which, did you know, is the name of a tribe of fairies who guard blackthorn bushes (I like to look up the origins of obscure FFXI mob names). Anyways, the Lunantishee beat him up a bit, but he Reraised and we entered Monarch Linn.

We waited for BBK to unweaken and Teila asked if we should buff up outside but I said that buffs would be removed upon entry. Turns out I was wrong so anyone doing this BCNM and wanting their record time not to be spoiled by buffing and resting, buffs are NOT removed upon entry to Uninvited Guests.

Teila ran in first and grabbed aggroed the Mammets, and BBK went in second, taking one off her. We had agreed to keep them apart so that the –ga spells would not harm everyone. Teila and I pulled ours to the start of the arena but I think I blinked and I missed it, but BBK’s Mammet-800 was dead in under ten seconds. He had Meditated twice at the start, used Sekkanoki (sp) and his 2hr to use five weaponskills and his 2hr, which is some serious damage.

I normally think Teila mows mobs down with her fully-Merited BLU, but even she was surprised that BBK had killed his so quick. Anyway, BBK and Aka came to join in and the second didn’t survive much longer, but it did keep using Tremourous Tread to Stun everyone.

The record for the ENM was 34secs, which is amazing, but had we known about being able to buff outside first, we could have perhaps tried to rival it.

I was going to log out at this point, but I agreed to go to Purgonorgo Isle with Teila to fight an Elvaan NM for her series of Goldmane quests. Before that, we all ran back to the Tavnazian Safehold to speak with Justinius to receive our rewards for the Mammet fight.

50% of the time Justinius gives you a Page from Miratete’s Memoirs, and 50% of the time you receive a random item which could be worth something, or might not be. The top prize is a Mannequin Body, which is an ultra-rare drop. I received a Dragon Bone, Akashea received some kind of Risotto dish, Teila received a Page from Miratete’s Memoirs and BBK received… the Mannequin Body, his just-reward for camping VE for me! We also received new titles.

After that we went to Sandy to obtain our Memoirs for the Rivernewort quests, and I got around 1.4k for my THF, making it 9k to L73 and his JSE Dragon gear! I then went to Bibiki Bay with Teila and whilst we waited for the Manaclipper to Purgonorgo Isle, we fought Efts in the hope we could pop Intulo for the Magic Slacks, but no joy.

I’ve always maintained that Purgonorgo Isle is the most beautiful place on Vana’diel, and my most favourite in-game area, on par with Wajaom Woodlands. It really does remind me of the island from island, with its crystal-clear waters, lush greenery and the lone mountain in the middle and it’s just a shame that we cannot climb it.

We ran round the island, past the ??? Warmachine (which brought back memories of CoP) to a clickable Weathered Boat sitting in a small cove. Teila clicked it and spawned an Elvaan bounty hunter with a silly name, and, upon my request, stood back to let me fight it, but he was easier than I thought he would be.

After that it was time to log out, but I stayed to watch the sunset on Purgonorgo Isle before I did. As the sun went down behind the cliffs the water between the rocks sparkled many different colours, resembling a reflection of the sun on the water. However, the way it was done was almost magical and really tranquil to watch. I don’t think this occurs anywhere else on the island and it’s little touches like this which remind me that the developers are not as lazy as people say. It was a truly special in-game moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.