Thursday 24 April 2008

Wolfin' Food and Goblin' Drink

Yet again I put off levelling in favour of more fun stuff. Still L71 (a month now?), when I had planned to be L75 for my week off next week, I decided to do something really random and poked my nose into Oldton Movalpolos to farm a Chest Key (map) and to get some Hoary Bomb Ash for a Bastok quest. I was also aware of a poppable NM, the Goblin Wolfman (DRK), who can be spawned by trading a Goblin Drink to some Scrawled Writing (in either G-13, I-9 or I-11), and has a 20% chance of dropping the Parade Gorget.

Inside, I pulled everything I could to try to get a Key and even with Treasure Hunter II, it took a substantial amount of time for an Oldton Chest Key to drop. I was the only person there but I couldn’t find a Chest anywhere and I did get lost quite a few times, as it’s not an area I’m at all familiar with.

I found the Ancient Bombs without a problem and fought them with ease for the Hoary Bomb Ash, and got four drops very quickly (it wasn’t until I had logged out at the end of the night I found out I needed a stack of 11 and not four), and then moved deeper in to find the Scrawled Writing.

Every fifteen minutes the Scrawled Writing moves between the three locations above and because the paths are often quite narrow in Oldton Movalpolos, sometimes you have to venture far away from the coordinate to come back in at a different part of the square at the same coordinate, so it was tricky to get around to all three locations.

I found the Scrawled Writing where the harder Oldton mobs were (but still Too Weak) and traded my Goblin Drink. I got the message “a chill runs down your spine!” and the Goblin Wolfman appeared.

I fought the fight in my Evasion Build (sacrificing a lot of Attack) and with a Jack o’ Lantern (with a huge penalty to CHA, meaning my Dancing Edges were weakened) and the Wolfman only hit me once (but when he did it was for 148 (I heard stories of this thing hitting for 300+, but that was probably a critical)).

At mid to low HP he used Blood Weapon but this never got past my shadows thankfully. After around six or seven minutes I defeated him but I didn’t get the drop. Fortunately I knew that the Scrawled Writing reappeared after a 15 minute wait, so I went AFK for awhile and came back. The Scrawled Writing had moved to another point so I traded my second Goblin Drink to it and got the drop this time.

You can watch the fight here.

After that I went off to Carpenter’s Landing to try to get the Mycophile Cuffs which BBK and Teila had told me about some time ago. The Mycophile Cuffs are a great L30 Rare/Ex piece for WHM, BLM and SCH (not RDM oddly enough) and as I sell all my lower level gear, it’s great to have some Rare/Ex gear standing by for level-capped events such as BCNMs and Promathia missions (Prommies especially!).

I didn’t have a Warp on me, nor do I still have the Gustaberg OP Warp, so I had to use a Chocobo Whistle from North Gustaberg and go to South Gustaberg, back into North Gustaberg, up through the Konschtadt (sp) Highlands, through the empty Valkurm Dunes, through La Thiene, through Jugner Forest and up into Carpenter’s Landing. I hadn’t done a journey like that in a long time and it was quite nostalgic, considering nowadays I seem to Warp and Teleport everywhere.

On the way through North Gustaberg I came across a shimmering by the side of the cliff, targetable with a blank ???. Recently I had discovered Lycopodiums besides shimmering in the old world, and when you talk to them they give you a brief but bizarre custscene. Therefore I had to dismount and check this modern-day shimmering, to which I was given the message that trading something would trigger memories, or words to that effect; it had to be connected to the Lycopodiums.

I carried on and in Carpenter’s Landing didn’t have to go far until I found the ??? for the Mycophile, an NM Funguar. To spawn the Mycophile you have to trade a Danceshroom, a Sleepshroom and a Woozyshroom to the ??? but the Mycophile Cuffs are not a guaranteed drop. If they don’t drop, the ?? respawns after fifteen minutes, but does not change location.

As with the Goblin Wolfman, I had to fight it twice before it dropped the Cuffs and noted it was a caster, possibly a RDM. It was not a difficult fight, but would be quite tough to lower levels due to the enclosed space and sight-linking Diver Beetles in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.