Wednesday 16 July 2008

Overshadowed

I was off work today so I had a whole day to game. I didn’t have any commitments, so I decided to go and camp Gargantua for the Miraculous Dale quest, and farm more Tundra Tigers whilst waiting on Golem pops.

When I got there, I noticed two players had cleaned the place out of Golems and Tigers, and whilst I’m aware that it’s courtesy to team up with others wanting the NM for the quest, I was there to farm too and I didn’t want to compete with them for Tigers, so I went over to Fei'Yin to farm there.

I'd never, ever farmed in Fei'Yin, so I made a mental list of some of the things I needed or could get. Reraise II, from the Killing/Hellish Weapons, and a Wandering (?) Bulb from the Utukki (for the Opo-Opo Crown). I also looked up some NMs there, noting the four Shadows and Goliath as quite doable, although looking at the Shadows’ pop time of 16-32 hours, and nice items, I never thought I’d get a chance at them.

So first I went downstairs to the Weapons and on my very first one I got the scroll. Although I was really chuffed, I did kinda think, "now what", but I decided to try to pop Goliath. After killing a few Colossi in the little rooms off the western corridor, I gave up and went upstairs where I realised the Shadow NMs were found.

The area was silent – no one was about – and to my shock, there was the rare and much sought-after Eastern Shadow, lurking above the dead body of a Galkan SMN. There was nothing I could do to Raise him, but I did shout for one, then pulled the Eastern Shadow. You can watch the fight here.

I didn’t get the drop but I was amazed I could solo it as I had thought these NMs were supposed to be super-hard but I guess not. I then thought, well, what if no one’s come here for awhile and the others are due to pop? So I carried on, working my way round the four rooms killing the Spectres and sure enough, to my amazement, I popped the Northern Shadow! You can watch the fight here.

This one was much easier. The Eastern Shadow took of my shadows easily (as Ranged Attacks guarantee a shadow loss) but this one did nothing but melee and used the occasional Dimensional Death. Again, I got no drop though.

After a couple of hours I noticed that I had tabbed onto a Strange Apparatus, and after a short while of checking the walls I discovered a trick wall which led me to the machine much like the one in Crawler's Nest. I never knew there was one here before! I took an AFK break there fore dinner and came back to carry on later.

Another couple of hours went by and I was getting tired, but just before I was about to log, WOOT, there was the Southern Shadow! This one opened with a Stonega III and took off almost 500 life, so I began to panic, but I managed to keep the fight under control. You can watch the fight here.

AGAIN – no drop! Man, I didn’t level THF to L75 for nothing, nor get my hands on a Thief's Knife. Still, it’s all about the thrill of the camp, isn't it?

When I was about to log out to watch 30 Days of Night, I tabbed onto none other than Goliath (through the floor as you sometimes do) so I ran down the stairs and back round to the corridor where he lurks and found him in one of the side rooms. He was so big I could only see his lower half on my screen, but if you want to you can watch the fight here.

I got full drops from him, including the Slab of Granite, but I don’t think it's worth much. I'm not fussed though, I’m just chuffed I got so many NMs in one afternoon, including 3 that have a 16-32hr spawn time! It would have made my day if I'd got the Retaliators and Vali's Bow though; would have been enough to make me level MNK and RNG!^^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.